I can’t believe it is almost Halloween!!! Only a few more days left! I am back at work on a gradual return and after two 4 hours days (with a day in between) I am feeling a lot of pain but just glad to be back. We haven’t decorated or anything but I am okay with that. We will for Christmas. We took the wheelchair back and I am still using crutches for work and outside the house, inside I am using a walker, to give my arms a bit of a rest.
Anyways I am sure you are more interested in hearing about the “Moving & A Ghost” part of this post aren’t you? So your probably wondering if Eddie and I are moving and the answer to that is no. We aren’t. It’s actually my parents who are. Strangely enough though they bought a house the 1st of October they are actually moving somewhere else. They are moving into a house my cousin and her husband bought around the same time. Both are in Digby and my parents are renting out the one they bought which they will eventually retire in but they will be living in my cousins house and guess what?!?!? It’s haunted! Yep, that’s right, haunted. It’s about 150 -180 years old. I can’t remember exactly what she said.
So the story goes that a woman who’s husband was a Sea Captain took sick while waiting for him to come home from sea. She passed away before he came home so her family decided it would be a shame to bury her before he came home and had his chance to say his goodbye’s. Being winter they wrapped her in blankets and put her in the shed which believe it or not was normal at that time. They waited for him to come home as he was due home in a week.
They waited and waited and after a few weeks they decided they needed the shed she was in and so they moved her closer to the bay to a pig shed. Still they waited and waited and the husband never came home. He was presumed dead, lost at sea. Finally spring came and they were able to bury the woman on her property close to the house. It’s said that she walks the property looking for her lost husband still to this day, waiting for him to come home from sea.
Apparently she has been heard in the house and on the property. Things move around without anyone touching them. She also likes to tuck people in including kids and she will kiss them on the cheek. She is said to be kind and gentle and not at all scary. Can you imagine? And my parents are going to be living there. I can’t wait to be honest! I love a good ghost story. It would not be my first encounter with the paranormal and likely wouldn’t be my last. I can’t wait to stay the night there.
We are going down Friday but will be staying in the cottage as there are not enough beds in the house yet.
Anyone who knows me knows how much I love to travel. I love traveling by plane, train or car. Visiting somewhere new is almost magical to me and reminds me so much of my childhood. My father was posted to CFB Baden-Söllingen in Germany. We moved there when I was 5 in 1985 until I was 11 in 1991. During our time there my parents decided that they were going to travel with me as much as possible and show me as much of Europe as they could at the time. This was still at a time when the Berlin wall was still up and we could not really travel as easily to certain places like East Germany, Poland, Yugoslavia, etc. I enjoyed it. I remember camping in Italy, skiing in Switzerland and Vacationing all over.
I decided in honor of this and because my husband has only been as far as Bar Harbor, Maine and New Brunswick that I want to make a list of 10 places I really want to visit. These are not places I have asked him about this is just all me. Places I have always wanted to visit even long before him. I am hoping to get myself a travel rewards credit card through work one of these days since it has all the insurance coverage’s and I can earn rewards towards traveling and when buying tickets.
- The British Isles – England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales have always been a place I want to visit more then anything. I have only ever been in an airport in England, Heathrow Airport in London. I have never been outside the airport.
- St Pierre et Miquelon – This is a little archipelago south of Newfoundland here in the Maritimes which is a French Island. Like a little piece of Europe off the east coast of Canada. I really really want to take a trip here next summer.
- Australia & New Zealand – A big one for me! I have always wanted to visit both countries. I have never been and would love to visit and explore.
- Sweden, Norway & Finland – Sweden, the home of the lovely Susanne, with whom I have been talking to for years online. I am in love with her pictures of her homeland and also her pictures of Ireland which has made me want to go to both places even more. I also want to visit Norway & Finland as well.
- Cuba – My husbands parents used to go to Cuba every year and I have heard them talk about how beautiful it is there and how wonderful the people are and I have fallen in love with their stories of the country. Both Edward and I really want to go.
- Florida/Universal Studios/Legoland – Okay so this is a place I have been to once with my parents. We traveled all down the east coast of the US and I loved it and in Florida I loved Disney World. I would love to go back with Edward and visit Universal Studios and Legoland as well sine I never got to visit them on only visisted the Magic Kingdom and Disney’s Typhoon Lagon (which I loved more then Magic Kingdom btw). I am a huge fan of Disney.
- Europe – Again a place I have been before but so badly want to go back. I really want to travel through Europe during the summer months. I want to see how much it has changed since I lived there and want to revisit a lot of places from my childhood.
- Africa – I have always wanted to visit Africa and go on an African Safari tour and take pictures and see some animals I have only ever seen in zoo’s or not at all.
I had planned to make this a 10 country list but since I kind of lumped some of them together it didn’t quite work out that way. Either way. These are the places I would really love to go. Where would you love to go?
Edward and I spent the day out today… well yesterday technically since it’s 2:30 AM. We both took a long weekend this weekend because I had a lieu day that I wanted to take and I decided I didn’t feel like working Sunday so I took the day off and he ended doing the same. We went for a walk for almost an hour in Point Pleasant Park which is a large park in the south end of Halifax by the port. The view from it is beautiful, a view of the mouth of the Halifax harbour which is one of the worlds deepest natural harbours. The second I think (maybe the first?).
I took a few pictures with my phone but unfortunately they didn’t turn out to well so I didn’t bother uploading them. We walked for 58 minutes and walked 3.30 km. We were just walking really slow and stopping to admire the view and take pictures which is why we didn’t go very far distance wise. It worked out to 5981 steps and 288 calories burned. In total I actually managed to get 10,154 steps in. I have my goal right now set to 7500 steps, need to work my way up to 10,000 and beyond. I am really proud of myself I have met my goal every day this week.
It was a beautiful day out and reached 19°C and was nice and sunny. Maybe a bit of a cool wind down around the harbour but it was still nice enough I only had on a t-shirt and capris. I am so happy that spring is here. Now all we need to do is try and get our all season tires back on. We put it off because it really seemed like winter was never going to end. We had 4 storms over 10 days just the beginning of this month. Tomorrow (today technically) is supposed to rain like 20m but still get to 14°C, then Sunday is supposed to rain 5-10mm in the morning, clear up for a cloudy but 17°C afternoon. I am hoping to get Edward out driving. He is working on getting his license, he finally has his learners.
I have been thinking that I want to start some sort of project online maybe a clique or forum for diabetics or some sort of site where we can share stories, share recipes and support each other. I know there are tons of sites, blogs, etc out there and I really do want to try and do something a little different. I’m not sure what yet but I guess I will keep thinking on it and see if I can get some ideas. I don’t know maybe something more local, for people here in Halifax and Nova Scotia, some sort of support group/website.